Over the years, humans have come to realize that we care a lot about our physical appearance. In 2008, Americans spent over 200 billion dollars on their physical appearance despite the country going through one of the worst recessions in the history of the United States. Even today, records indicate that people spend more money on grooming than on reading materials.
People care about their physical appearance because it is tied to the perception of their social status. The physical attractiveness is tied to the concept of privilege and favored social treatment. In society, physical attractiveness confers numerous social advantages. For example, attractive individuals earn substantially more, and are more likely to get hired and promoted in organizations. People are usually prejudiced against those who are physically unattractive
Based on the above-mentioned reasons, it is vital that you pay attention to your appearance in order to achieve more success. You don’t get a second chance to make the first impression. When you meet someone for the first time, they make a judgment about you based on your appearance within four seconds.
Thus the way one dresses, can influence people around you as it can help one to:
- To look Authoritative
- To appear less Intimidating
- To look Successful
- To appear Trustworthy.
- To appear Professional.
- To appear Creative and forward thinking
- To appear Calm and Reassuring.
The American hiring managers claim that they make the decision regarding hiring an individual within first thirty seconds of the first meeting based on their clothing.
Types of dressers that are Image Breakers have been classified in three categories: Sloppy, Skimpy and Drab. Their dressing style conveys their level of confidence and to a great extent impacts their success.
- Sloppy dressers are the ones whose clothes are wrinkled, stained and mismatched. This gives a message that you are also sloppy person and don’t care about your clothes, job, future. These people are usually least successful in their career.
- Skimpy dressers are the ones who often opt for shorter, tighter and revealing clothes in all situations. Example, going to picnic with kids, office meetings etc. Wearing overly revealing clothes often exudes insecurity and gives a message that this is all you have to offer. These individuals don’t get too far as far as their career is concerned.
- Drab dresser wants to blend in with the crowd and don’t seek a lot of attention. They are always dressed in comfortable clothing, apt for the situation and focused on their work. These people are most successful in their career and lives.
Although what you wear doesn’t define you as a person, it is a reflection of how you feel about yourself. So, dress in a way that makes you feel good about yourself. Keep in mind, looking good makes you feel good.
Main influencers when we are choosing our clothing:
- Your personality.
- The Occasion where you will be going.
- Personal Body shape/ variation/ Proportion/ Scale etc.
- Coloring and Contrast
In a competitive work environment, it is natural to want to do everything possible to get an extra edge. Besides dressing well, there are many other things you can do to enhance your appearance and come across as confident. Self-improvement is a continuous process. As Thomas Edison said “if we did everything we are capable of, we would truly astonish ourselves.”
Below are a few tips on how to enhance your appearance:
- Stand up straight – your posture tells a lot about your confidence.
- Look people in the eye.
- Embrace and give compliments to other people.
- Receive compliments by simply saying “thank you”
“The way you look, directly affects the way you think, the way you feel, the way you speak, the way you act or behave & then the way others react or respond to you”
If you wish to improve your appearance in the society so that you continue to succeed in your career, you must contact Remarkable Images by Shaina at 9811346996.